The Illinois Flamenco-Jazz Collective is a new music and dance ensemble dedicated to high-quality Flamenco education and performance in Champaign-Urbana and surrounding areas.
Current Global Intersections Projects
- The P.A.N. Culture and Heritage Experience is a University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign study abroad foundations course that focuses on preparing and educating students about life abroad, educational development in Sub-Saharan Africa, and research in Ghana, Africa.
- Impact of political and social conflicts on climate action planning in a global context – Vinisha Basnet & Moazam HakimClimate change and climate action are active social factors in an emerging area of research. This project will feature a conversation that addresses current questions about climate change and climate action.
- Local responses to educational reforms: the cases of Chicago, Chile, and Egypt – Amal Elassi & Manuel Perez TroncosoThere is a clear interrelationship between current educational reforms and global economic movements in different parts of the world. Educational reforms are driven by increasing demand for meeting the global market’s competitive standards.
- Child marriage is one of the major barriers to international development goals. Even today, India has 102 million child brides. Although keeping them in school is a challenge, formal education enhances girls’ ability to negotiate these key life decisions.
- Illinois Contextual Engineering Week, happening April 20-23, will introduce attendees to the benefits of using a contextual approach in engineering design. Topics will include innovative self-sufficiency, unintended consequences, and contextual influences, alongside providing many real-world pro
- This project attempts to understand how digital platforms, especially messaging apps, function as unavoidable infrastructure in our social lives and become new modes of national governance.
- Turning the discursive gaze toward a digital center: negotiations and global imaginaries surrounding facial recognition across weibo – Adrian Wong & Yiran GaoAs facial recognition technological developments accelerate in their capability, “efficiency,” and networked possibilities, they increasingly cause “frictions” (Tsing, 2005) through their deployment in situated circumstances and at various scales.