The workshop will be held at the University of Illinois Main Library, Conference Room 106, on October 13th and 14th. Meter parking is available in the lot on the west side on the library off of 6th Street. These meters take both coin and credit/debit card. Click here for Main Library and Parking locations.
A block of rooms at Towne Place Suites Champaign has been reserved for the IASC21 conference at a discounted rate. This hotel is conveniently located on one of the main campus streets, surrounded by restaurants, shops, and University buildings.
Guests of Towne Place Suites attending the International & Area Studies Conference are responsible for their room reservations, nightly rate of $119 plus taxes, and any other charges associated with their room. A credit card will be secured upon check-in as a guaranteed method of payment.
Town Place Suites Champaign
524 E. Green Street
Champaign, IL 61820
Parking: $7 daily parking garage fee
For reservations, please call the hotel directly at (217) 344-1600 and indicate you are booking under the IASC Conference group block. The group rate has been extended until September 20th, 2016, with the Booking Code IASO, IASC Conference.
Transportation to Champaign-Urbana
To get to Champaign-Urbana, you may arrange to fly into Chicago and then use public transportation (Illini Shuttle, Peoria Charters, or Amtrak) from O’Hare or Midway airports. If choosing one of the bus services, your closest stop to Towne Place Suites Champaign will be Altgeld, which is 3 minutes walking distance. To get to the hotel, walk west on Green St. to reach Sixth St. Towne Place Suites Champaign will be on your right hand side just past the intersection.
To get to Towne Place Suites Champaign from the Amtrak stop at Illinois Terminal, take the 5 or 50 East Green Line (MTD – Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District) to the corner of 4th and Green (you will be on the south side). Depart on that corner, walk approximately 2 blocks east on Green St. The hotel will be on your lefthand side on the north side of the street.
It takes approximately 2.5 hours to drive to Champaign should you wish to rent a car. Alternatively, you can take a flight to Willard Airport in Champaign or to the Central Regional Airport in Bloomington-Normal. If driving, please note that the parking garage for the hotel is only accessible from Sixth St., which is a southbound street only. Entering from Springfield Ave. (east-west road) is the easiest route.
Transportation While on Campus
The Champaign-Urbana MTD services the U of I campus and surrounding communities year round, with extensive and frequent routes to and from the main library. Most stops on the immediate U of I campus are designated ‘i-stops’, which do not require payment or bus card identification to use. The most direct routes from Towne Place Suites Champaign to the Library should not require payment of any kind. Bus fare outside of ‘i-stops’ is $1 per ride, with 1 transfer available to you.
Route to the library:
- From Towne Place Suites, walk .3 miles east on Green Street to the Illini Union (Engineering Side) [north side of the street] bus stop/shelter.
- Board the 13S Silver at Illini Union (Engineering Side) and get off at Sixth & Gregory (NW corner)
- Walk .10 miles from Sixth and Gregory (NW Corner) to the south side entrance of the Main Library
Routes to Golden Harbor Authentic Chinese Cuisine (for the 6:30pm dinner on October 13th):
- From Towne Place Suites, walk 1/2 block east on Green Street to Green & Sixth. Take the 5W Greenhopper at Green & Sixth (NE Corner) and get off at Neil & Healey (Se Corner). Walk 0.05 miles from Neil & Healey (SE Corner) to Golden Harbor Authentic Chinese Cuisine.
- From the Main Library, board the 8W Bronze(turns into 8E Bronze) or the 22N Illini at Armory & Wright (South Side). Get off at Illini Union (South Side Shelter). Board the 5W Green Express at Illini Union (Engineering Side) and get off at Neil & Healey (Se Corner). Walk 0.05 miles from Neil & Healey (SE Corner) to Golden Harbor Authentic Chinese Cuisine.
Please visit the CU MTD website for more trip planning tools.
ADA Accessible Services:
All fixed routes have buses equipped with wheelchair lifts. CU MTD also offers an exceptional paratransit service available for persons with disabilities who are unable to use fixed route services. Please visit the CU MTD website for more information.